Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Inside HBO's Game of Thrones by Bryan Cogman (2012)

    If you're anything like me, getting your hands on anything related to George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series and the television adaptation Game of Thrones is exciting. Once you've read all the books and seen every episode of the show, you can't help but want more and this book definitely delivers.

    The book collects all of the behind-the-scenes work from season one and parts of season two, with detailed descriptions of special effects, costumes, acting, and much more. The bulk of the book is made up of quotes and passages from actors, writers, members of the crew and all of the people who worked on the show. It covers every aspect of the show from the Night's Watch to Kings Landing and Essos, offering brief histories of locations and families throughout the series.
    Personally, I love learning about all of the behind-the-scenes work that goes into the things I love, and most of the time I'm stuck with a few special features on the Blu-Ray or a short youtube video about one particular special effect, so when I found out about this big book about all things Game of Thrones, I was really interested in getting my hands on it, and I can assure you that this book is really, really cool.
    Although I'm a huge fan of the series, I think that anyone interested in filmmaking, special effects, or costumes would enjoy this book, although not as much as a devoted fan. It also offers a great, yet brief, history of Westeros and the lands beyond for people who want to catch up with things before the show returns in March.
    Another interesting thing about the book is the section in the back, where the cast and crew talk about the various pranks they pulled on each other on set, like changing Kit Harrington's script to convince him his character would be horribly deformed for the whole series or telling Alfie Allen that his character would die off early on.
    I loved this book, but there were things I wish they would have included about season two. The biggest thing was the House of the Undying and the reasons for their drastic changes to the pivotal scene when compared to the book. Luckily, Blackwater was included, but I would've liked to see some more of season two. Overall, this great behind-the-scenes book gets 4 out of 5 People Who Couldn't Finish Infinite Jest.














No comments:

Post a Comment